Pine Bush Equine Services and Veterinary Hospital utilizes state-of-the-art equipment and the expertise of our board-certified veterinarians to perform complete diagnostic evaluations of horses with a variety of health conditions.
Advanced Diagnostic Services
- Digital Radiology
- PBES + VH offers the latest in portable digital radiography (DR). Digital radiographs capture an image using a detector panel which is then sent to a computer for viewing. Images can also be sent to a server for further viewing and interpretation. Images appear instantly and are ready for review so that a diagnosis can be made efficiently
- Full In-house Laboratory
- Our in house laboratory allows us to process bloodwork for a variety of tests and allows us to provide quick diagnostic results for treatments. We are able to evaluate semen, embryos and process regenerative therapies such as stem cell extraction, platelet rich plasma (PRP), and Prostride. Fecal samples are also able to be processed for routine parasitology. Samples that need to be sent to an offsite laboratory are processed in 24-48 hours.
- Signs of Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS) include decreased appetite, weight loss, poor attitude recurrent colic, sub-optimal performance, diarrhea and dull coat. Ulcers can develop in both high-level performance and recreational horses alike. Various factors can increase your horse’s risk of gastric ulcers, including intense physical activity, high grain and pellet diet, stress, NSAID anti-inflammatory drugs.
- This is a non-surgical procedure that uses a flexible tube with a light and a camera called and endoscope that allows us to evaluate the nasal passages, throat, trachea, bladder, and uterus. An extra-long endoscope (gastroscope) is used to observe the esophagus, stomach, intestines, bladder and ureters.
- Overland Dynamic Endoscopy
- Unlike traditional endoscopes, a dynamic endoscope can be used while a horse is moving or being ridden without interference. The dynamic endoscope evaluates the horse’s airway during actual conditions and experiences while exercising with tack and rider, providing a much more accurate diagnosis.
- PBES + VH offers state of the art digital ultrasound machines that are portable. Ultrasound is used to image tendons, muscles, organs and vessels. Ultrasound can be used to monitor healing. It is commonly used to monitor reproductive cycles, fetal development and pregnancy in brood mares
- Nuclear Scintigraphy
- Nuclear scintigraphy is commonly referred to as a bone scan. It is able to detect active areas of inflammation. A low dose of radioisotope is taken up by active cells and then detected by a special camera. Nuclear Scintigraphy can also be used to measure the function of certain organs such as the kidneys and esophagus. This imaging modality is currently under construction at our practice. We are looking forward to its completion and will keep you updated.