In addition to Pine Bush Equine’s conventional veterinary services, we also provide some additional therapies to complement your horse’s holistic care. Our board-certified experts assist you in deciding if complementary therapies could be beneficial to your treatment plan, and make suggestions for how to best incorporate them.
Advanced Therapeutics & Complementary Medicine
- Platelet Rich Plasma
- PRP Therapy is recommended for recent tendon and ligament injuries, injuries that have not healed using traditional rest and controlled exercise, as well as for horses with severe joint disease that are no longer responding to traditional joint therapy. With a platelet concentration five times higher than regular blood, a plasma injection enhances healthy inflammatory cells, formation of new blood vessels and connective tissue, and regeneration of skin.
- Pro-Stride Regenerative Therapy
- Made using your horse’s own blood, this joint injection provides anti-inflammatory relief and pain control. Safe and highly effective, Pro-Stride is a steroid-free alternative to traditional joint injections, and a lower-cost option than traditional IRAP and other regenerative therapies.
- Shockwave Therapy
- Using a non-invasive, high-intensity, pressure wave treatment, we can help relieve pain, speed healing, and improve the quality of the healing. Shockwave therapy is great for treating tissue calcification, suspense ligament injuries, fractures, back pain, fatigue injuries, navicular disease and more. Shockwave therapy utilizes rapid increases in pressure - No actual electric shocks are used in this therapy.
- Pegasus Therapy Laser by LiteCure
- Laser therapy has been used for a number of years to improve the healing of wounds. It is now been scientifically proven to decrease recovery time from athletic injuries, calm the animal before events, increase athletic performance, stimulate acupuncture points and various other benefits.
- LiteCure is the recognized leader in therapeutic laser technology. Class IV laser delivers a large amount of light energy into the companion’s body. When it interacts with damaged cells, healing is accelerated and pain virtually eliminated. As our best friends age, recover from trauma or surgery, or simply need relief from everyday aches and pains, this advanced technology offers Drug-Free, Surgery-Fee, Pain-Free Relief. Dr. Brian Pryor, President of LiteCure, explained that the light penetrates deep into the tissues, reducing inflammation, improving cell respiration and slowing nerve conduction for immediate pain relief.
- IRAP Therapy
- When a horse’s joint becomes injured, the normal repair process includes the release of chemical components that can actually accelerate cartilage and joint damage. These components include a chemical called interleukin-1 (IL-1), which binds to the surface of the joint, and is responsible for causing more inflammation, pain and lameness. IRAP (Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Protein) is a protein that prevents IL-1 from attaching to the joint surfaces and therefore help prevents the degrading results of inflammation and ameliorate pain and lameness.
- IRAP is prepared from the horse’s own blood. It is processed and incubated overnight in a laboratory. One sample usually produces 3-4 syringes for treatments. Once prepared, the sterile solution of IRAP, called autologous conditioned serum (ACS), can then be injected into the joint. The joint is often clipped and aseptically prepared before injection. Your horse is sedated to aid in safe and accurate needle placement. The remaining ACS is frozen for future injections.
- IRAP has had very encouraging initial results. Like any treatment it may not be successful in all cases. It can be particularly useful in joints after surgery or when corticosteroid injection has not been successful.